40 Movie Product Placements

So a great friend on twitter Jake Moore (@RiverCityOtter) shared this link to me today about the 40 Top Worst Movie Product Placements and I wanted to discuss it further.

Here's the Total Film's article: http://www.totalfilm.com/features/40-worst-movie-product-placements

Now everyone has their opinions about product placement but I feel some of the films on this list don't deserve to be on there.

Also maybe its me but this article makes me feel like product placement is a negative in movies.  I agree that adding dialogue about products and their special features can change the dynamic of a scene but it can also educate the audience about a new product.  Its up to the producers and director to decide how to incorporate product placement effectively, it has to be a compromise between the production team and product placement company.

Product placement is very character driven so when someone says a film has too much product placement, I always need for someone to explain further.  What is too much? Let's look at Total Film's #36 Pick for Worst Movie Product Placement the film "Days of Thunder."  Its about a NASCAR driver and one of his sponsors is Mello Yello, which is seen on his uniform and race car. I see no problem with this because is realistic placement.

Numerous amounts of product placement is only frowned upon when its not realistic or true to the characters. While I'm a fan of Total Film, I disagreed with this particular article greatly.  I could think of 30 films that product placement was done terribly because it was real or authentic.  But the number of products in a film should not be highlighted as a negative.

Jake Moore, thank you for always sending me product placement related articles that I enjoy and puts me in a writing frenzy :)




Comments

Popular Posts